Our undergraduate students are recognized for their outstanding scholarship at the Department, University and national levels. Each year the Department makes awards for outstanding student performances in introductory courses. At later stages, a variety of competitive, merit-based fellowships and scholarships enable students to focus on their research during the academic year or in the summer. In recent years, our upper division undergraduates have received prestigious scholarships by successfully competing with the best science students in the nation.
Undergraduate Research Awards administered by the Department
These fellowships are to support research in the Department of Biological Sciences.
- The Albert and Cynthia Chung Award (summer support)
- The Samuel D. Colella Award (summer support)
- The Norman H. Horowitz Award (summer support)
Applications are now available and are due February 28, 2021
Undergraduate Research Awards administered by the Honors College
These awards can be used to support undergraduate research in the Department or in other University laboratories.
- Brackenridge Fellowship (summer support)
- UHC Research Fellowship (fall or spring support)
- Chancellor's Undergraduate Research Fellowship (fall or spring support)
- Health Science Research Fellowship (summer support of research in labs in the six schools of Pitt's Health Sciences)
- Conference travel award ($500 to present research at a conference)
Undergraduate Research Awards administered by the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences
- Summer Undergraduate Research Awards (summer support)
Teaching Award administered by the Honors College
- Chancellor's Undergraduate Teaching Fellowship (fall or spring support)
Room and board support for summer studies at Pymatuning Laboratory of Ecology
Outstanding student performance in introductory biology courses
The Department recognizes outstanding students in introductory biology with these awards based on nominations by faculty.