Educational and research opportunities for students and postdoctoral scholars from groups traditionally underrepresented in biology are available, and supplemental to those opportunities broadly available to members of the department. Several exceptional opportunities are highlighted below.
- Dietrich School of Arts & Sciences Office of Undergraduate Research Research Awards
- Summer and academic year research fellowship and lab-matching programs
- Mentor/Mentee Summer Research Program nucleates and fosters mentoring relationships and train students as mentors.
- EXROP Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s own summer research fellowship program aimed at increasing diversity in the biomedical sciences.
- First Experiences in Research Program to work with labs in the department.
- Virus Discovery
- American Chemical Society Scholars Award
- ASM's Microbiology Undergraduate Research Fellowship
- Career Discovery Internship Program (CDIP) – U.S. Fish & Wildlife Svc.
Post-Baccalaureate Programs to transition to Graduate Programs
- Hot Metal Bridge for students from diverse backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in their program area.
- K. Leroy Irvis Fellowship Program
- Provost’s Development Fund
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards to promote diversity in health-related research
- The National GEM Consortium, PHD Science Fellowship for minority students in the natural sciences
- AAUW Fellowships and Grants to advance educational and professional opportunities for women
- SDE/GWIS National Fellowships Program to encourage research careers in the sciences by women