Our undergraduate students are recognized for their outstanding scholarship at the Department, University and national levels. Each year the Department makes awards for outstanding student performances in introductory courses. At later stages, a variety of competitive, merit-based fellowships and scholarships enable more students to focus on their research during the academic year and in the summer. In recent years, our upper division undergraduates have received prestigious scholarships by successfully competing with the best science students in the nation.
Undergraduate Research Awards administered by the Department
With the exception of the EXROP program, these fellowships are to support research in the Department of Biological Sciences
- The Norman H. Horowitz Award (apply in fall for academic year support)
- The Samuel D. Colella Award (apply in spring for summer support)
- Mentor/Mentee Summer Research Fellowship (apply in spring for summer support)
- Beckman Scholars (students working with faculty who are Beckman Mentors may apply)
- EXROP (the Department nominates up to two students for summer research at another University through this national HHMI fellowship program)
- Travel support to present at a research meeting (email Dr. Kaufmann firstname.lastname@example.org)
Undergraduate Research Awards administered by the Honors College
These awards can be used to support undergraduate research in the Department or in other University laboratories.
- Brackenridge Summer Fellowship (apply in spring for summer support)
- Fall/Spring Brackenridge Research Fellowships (apply the preceding term for 1 semester support)
- Chancellor's Undergraduate Research Fellowship (apply the preceding term for 1 semester support)
Undergraduate Research Awards administered by College of Arts and Sciences
Arts and Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Awards (apply in spring for summer support)
Honors College Award for Teaching
Room and Board Support
Richard T Hartman and Michael Orosz scholarships to support summer studies at Pymatuning Laboratory of Ecology
Outstanding student performance in introductory biology courses
The Department recognizes outstanding students in introductory biology with these awards based on nominations by faculty.