Identify a Potential Mentor
Applicants to the EE Graduate Program are encouraged to establish a dialog with a potential graduate advisor prior to submitting an application. Applicants to the MCDB program do not need to establish a dialog prior to submitting. All Advanced Level Entry students must have permission to join a faculty member’s lab before applying.
Students typically admitted to our programs:
- must have earned a college degree in biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics or closely related scientific field.
- have performed independent research as an undergraduate researcher or technician.
- have attained a Quality Point Average (QPA/GPA) of at least 3.25 on a 4.0 scale; a QPA of below 3.0 is unusual and requires approval from the Dean.
- if students are international, have obtained a TOEFL score above 90 (above 22 on each of the four sections) on the internet-based test for non-native English speakers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. I am an international student and my college does not use the US 4.0 GPA grading scale. How do I report my GPA?
If your college does not use the 4.0 GPA scale, estimate your GPA with the following table.
|100 Point Scale||10 point scale|
For instance, if your cumulative grade is a 90 on a 100 point scale, your GPA would be 3.75. If your college uses another grading system, or if the percentile scores are different from those shown above, please attempt to compute the corresponding US GPA as best as possible.
Have official TOEFl or IELTS scores sent to the University of Pittsburgh at institution code 2927 with the department code 0203. Our TOEFL code is 35. All hard copies should be sent to:
Ms. Cathy Barr
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Pittsburgh
A234 Langley Hall
Fifth and Ruskin
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 USA
Once your application is complete, you will receive an automated email. If you do not receive this email within a week of applying, please get in touch with us at email@example.com. After that, the first contact is usually in mid-January for those who were selected for interviews.
4. How can I find out if you have received all of my supporting documents such as my transcripts and letters of recommendation?
If you have received the email acknowledging that we have received your online application, please assume that we have received (or will receive) all of your documents. We will contact you during the review process if we determine that information is missing.
All students must enter in the fall semester except for Advanced Level Entry students who can apply at any time.